Automatic pet feeders are an ideal solution for animal owners who cannot always be at home to serve meals. The advances in technology with these devices have been impressive to say the least and there are now many options on the market.
Choosing between automatic pet feeders can be difficult if you aren’t sure what you’re looking for.
I recently reviewed the WellToBe automatic pet feeder and the HoneyGuaridan pet feeder, both of which have some great features. But if you’ve narrowed your choices down and are left with these two feeders, which one do you choose?
In my WellToBe automatic pet feeder vs HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder review, I’ll put them against one another and help you make the right decision for you and your pet.
Overview Of WellToBe Automatic Pet Feeder
If you’re looking for an affordable and reliable automatic pet feeder then the WellToBe pet feeder might be right for you. What’s great about this brand is that it offers a choice of four feeders, two that have app control and two that don’t. Each option comes in a choice of black or white so you can fit it to the look of your home.
The WellToBe automatic pet feeder comes with a wide range of features that are largely user friendly. Although the user manual is very unclear which can make things difficult. For the purposes of this review, I’ll be focusing on the smartphone app controlled version which comes with a 4 litre hopper.
Features Of The WellToBe Automatic Pet Feeder
The WellToBe automatic pet feeder has a great range of features that make it suitable for many pet owners. Let’s take a closer look
- 4 litre food tank
- Stores up to 20 days worth of meals
- Lightweight design (2.4kg)
- Backlit screen
- 2 bowls and splitter included
- Removable tank and bowls
- Slow feed function
- Audio recording function within the app
- Infrared sensor to prevent food getting stuck
Benefits Of The WellToBe Automatic Pet Feeder
While the WellToBe automatic pet feeder isn’t the most technologically advanced feeder on the market, there are a lot of benefits to it.
- Ideal for pet owners who spend long hours at work
- Smartphone app is easy to use
- The device is easy to clean thanks to removable parts
- Dual power supply
- Reliable food dispensing
Overview Of HoneyGuaridan Automatic Pet Feeder
The HoneyGuardian automatic pet feeder is much larger and comes with a 6 litre hopper as well as two bowls. This is much larger than a lot of the cat feeders I have seen online which also makes it a good choice for smaller dog breeds.
As is the case with the WellToBe automatic pet feeder, the HoneyGuaridan pet feeder also comes with either manual or smartphone app control. Again, for the purposes of this review, I’ll be looking at the app-controlled version.
It’s also worth noting that this feeder comes in a choice of black or white finish and is made from durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
Features Of The HoneyGuaridan Automatic Pet Feeder
The HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder is one of the more high tech feeders on the market. As such, it’s got an excellent range of features.
- 6.5 litre food tank
- Versatile smartphone app with 2.4 and 5 Ghz connection
- Lockable lid and desiccant
- Two stainless steel food bowls
- Removable tank and bowls
- Audio recording function
- Backlit screen
- Anti-jam function
- 2 bowls and splitter included
Benefits Of The HoneyGuaridan Automatic Pet Feeder
When I look at the HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder, I see so many benefits. This is definitely a product that does what it promises and the advantages are clear.
- Easy to assemble
- Detailed smartphone app that allows you to monitor your pet’s feeding patterns
- Keeps food fresher for longer
- Large capacity food hopper
- Dual power options
- Can be used for one or two pets
Comparison Between WellToBe Automatic Pet Feeder And HoneyGuaridan Automatic Pet Feeder
The WellToBe automatic pet feeder and the HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder are similar in many ways. After all, they’re both designed to do the same thing but the features vary slightly so let’s compare them.
Design And Build Quality
Both the WellToBe automatic pet feeder and the HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder are made from ABS plastic. This is a lightweight yet durable material and comes with the benefit of being able to freely move the feeder around, even when it’s full. However, it also offers great stability so there’s no risk of the feeders being knocked over.
The bowls that come with both feeders are made from stainless steel and are fully removable. Stainless steel is the most hygienic option as it’s easier to clean and won’t harbour bacteria. As well as this, both feeders have removable tanks which again makes for easy cleaning. In this sense, they’re both equally as good.
Additionally, another similarity here is that both feeders come with a two bowls, accompanied with a stainless steel splitter. This feature, seen in both models is great for multi-pet households as the dual bowl design allows both pets to feed at the same time, each from a separate bowl. This will help to reduce the risks of competition and aggression around feeding times.
However, the HoneyGuaridan is significantly larger than the WellToBe automatic pet feeder and comes with a 6.5 litre food tank as opposed to the WellToBe’s 4 litre tank. This means that you can leave your pet for a longer period of time without having to worry. That said, the 4 litre tank of the WellToBe automatic pet feeder does still provide meals for up to 20 days.
Each of the feeders can provide up to 6 meals per day but the HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder delivers between 1 and 24 portions per meal, making it more versatile. What’s more, the lockable lid on the HoneyGuaridan seems to perform better than the WellToBe. I’ve seen some users say that their cat has managed to get inside the lid of the WellToBe automatic pet feeder which is never the case with the HoneyGuaridan .
I should note that the HoneyGuaridan is slightly noisier when dispensing food which could be intimidating to some cats, especially if they have a nervous disposition.
In terms of ease of use, the design of the WellToBe automatic pet feeder is slightly more complicated when setting up. The user manual is very unclear and there wasn’t a lot of information online so it can take some time to get started. However, the app was very easy to use.
On the other hand, the HoneyGuaridan comes with clear instructions and doesn’t take long to assemble. While it was easy to get my head around the instructions, I did find that the control panel wasn’t very clearly labelled which did hinder things slightly.
Both the WellToBe automatic pet feeder and the HoneyGuaridan come with a compatible smartphone app and both are available on both Android and iOS.
One thing that instantly stood out to me was the simplicity of the WellToBe automatic pet feeder app. But this isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it made it much easier to use; everything was self-explanatory. You can set up to six meals a day and set the time you’d like them to be delivered. I also like that there is a slow feed function for cats that get a little too excited at meal times.
The app for the HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder is much more advanced and has many more features. You can set meal times and sizes as well as check out the detailed feeding log which is a great way to monitor your pet’s eating habits. What’s more, there’s the option to record a 10 second audio which automatically plays from the feeder when it’s meal time. This is also something you can do with the WellToBe automatic pet feeder app.
However, the one thing that really caught my attention was that the WellToBe automatic pet feeder app can only be connected via a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi connection whereas the HoneyGuaridan can also use a 5Ghz connection making it slightly more versatile.
When it comes to power, both of these pet feeders are equal in that they run off mains power but also have a battery back up in case of a blackout. The only real difference I could see is that the WellToBe automatic pet feeder runs off 4 D size batteries while the HoneyGuaridan only uses 3 D batteries.
The WellToBe automatic pet feeder comes with an infrared sensor which ensures the feeder does not stop working because of jammed food. This same function also ensures that the feeder does not overflow when dispensing so you get a more controlled flow.
The HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder has a similar function which prevents food from getting stuck, known as an anti-jamming mechanism.
Both of these features ensure excellent reliability and in all honesty, both feeders perform the same with no missed meals and a consistent flow of food.
Why HoneyGuardian Automatic Pet Feeder Is The Better Choice
While the WellToBe automatic pet feeder has a great range of features, it’s not as easy to use and lacks some of the technology we see in the HoneyGuardian automatic pet feeder. That’s why I think the HoneyGuaridan is the best choice. Let me explain a little further.
Value For Money
Both of these automatic pet feeders are around the same price with the HoneyGuaridan being slightly cheaper; but I’m talking by a few pounds. This makes it excellent value for money especially when you consider the more advanced technology in the smartphone app.
Also keep in mind the number of exciting features that you get with this model which are amazing considering the low price. One of the most notable things about this feeder is the larger size which means you can have peace of mind for much longer and won’t need to refill it as often.
Ease Of Use
When it comes to assembling your pet feeder, the HoneyGuaridan really stood out as the process was so simple. What’s more, the smartphone app has a lot of features but despite being detailed, it was still very easy to get to grips with.
The WellToBe automatic pet feeder does have the slow feed function which the HoneyGuaridan is lacking. However, this model boasts many more features that I think make it the better choice.
For example, the larger hopper which I’ve already discussed in the value for money section but I have to touch on it again as it’s such an upgrade.
What’s more, the fact that the HoneyGuaridan can be used with two different Wi-Fi frequencies makes it much more versatile and suitable for a wider range of users.
The secure lockable lid adds that extra touch and gives you the peace of mind that you won’t come home to a spillage. Moreover, the included desiccant means that your pet’s food will remain fresh and crunchy for much longer. Having a desiccant bag is an ideal feature in an automatic pet feeder, not only because it helps to keep food fresher for longer, but so the food does not loose its nutritional content when being stored for longer time periods.
Within the app, the feeding log is far more detailed and provides the user with a much greater array of information. If your pet is on a diet or has unique feeding needs, this is a must.
Best Automatic Pet Feeders at a Glance
In a hurry? If so, below are my top picks for the Best Automatic Pet Feeders.
Where Should I Purchase The HoneyGuaridan Automatic Pet Feeder?
- 【Feed Multiple Pets & Transparent 6.5L Hopper】 The upgrade auto pet feeder has a 2-way splitter and double stainless steel food bowls, which can divide food equally and feed your multiple pets at the same time. 6.5L Large transparent removable food storage container can hold 29 cups dry food. The dry food kibble size should between 0.19”-0.7” (0.5cm-1.8cm) to ensure the food dispense smoothly without jamming.
- 【Flexible Meal Scheduling】HoneyGuaridan automatic cat feeder can program up to 6 meals a day and each meal from 1 to 48 portions of 12g/0.5oz food kibbles. Pet fooder dispenser’s exact food portion control helps to manage the weight of pets and consistent feeding times helps establish a regular diet. Once you program the feeding plans, they will be followed permanently even if the device is powered off and chang to battery powered.
- 【Premium Customized Sound Recording】This automatic pet food dispenser has a built-in voice recorder and a speaker to call your pets to their meal with a 10-seconds-long message. You can also disable the recorded sound when you need a no-disturbing sleep on the weekend.
- 【Anti-block Design】A built-in infrared sensor alerts when the food stuck in the feeder, the motor will rotate oppositely to release food to prevent the food from blocking.The automatic cat feeder is powered by power adapter and 4 D-size batteries. In case of power outage, the feeder will continue to function on 4 D-size batteries to assure your pet never miss a feeding. (Batteries are NOT included)
- 【User Friendly Operation Panel】User friendly control panel, easy to set up. Anti-touch buttons to prevent your pet from accidentally touching and stealing food. Manual feeding button can provide additional portions for your pets at any time. Top lid forms a type of seal so that the kibble stays fresh and so that your pets receive the food they need. Removable food container and stainlees steel bowl for easy installation and cleaning.
Last update on 2024-02-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Where Should I Purchase The WellToBe Automatic Pet Feeder?
- 【Flexible Meal Scheduling】- The Cat Feeder can be programmed up to 6 meals a day at scheduled times, and every meal has from 1 to 48 portions of 0.28 oz (about 1/16 cup)per meal for 1 portion, which can help your pet develop a good eating habit. Please note that the kibble size can not exceed 0.47 inch, otherwise, it may get jammed.Please note: you need to record your voice first and then set the meals(the voice recorder is a necessary seting to make sure the pet feeder dispense food well)
- 【Feed Multiple Pets & Easy to Clean】 - The upgrade auto pet feeder comes with a 2-way splitter and double 3 cups stainless steel food bowls, can divide meals equally, and feed your multiple pets at the same time. you can also assemble it into a usual feeder as you like. Removable food container and food bowls for easy installation and cleaning.
- 【Upgraded Sound Record Design】- This automatic pet food dispenser has a built-in voice recorder and a speaker to call your pets to their meal with a 10-seconds-long message. You can also disable the recorder sound for your smart pet to have a good sleep on the weekends.
- 【Anti-Clog Design】- Advanced automatic reversal mechanism to completely solve the problem of food jams. A built-in infrared sensor alerts when the food bowl is full. and The Blue light flashing to remind you it’s time for a refill - make sure your cats never go hungry!
- 【Never Miss A Feeding】- The WellToBe automatic cat feeder is powered by a power adapter and 4 D-size batteries. In case of a power outage, the feeder will continue to function on 4 D-size batteries to assure your pet never miss a feeding (Batteries are NOT included). The Food storage capacity is 13 cups for dry food can satisfy with one large adult dog 3 days and one adult cat half months feeding demand, perfect for pet parents with a very busy schedule or singles who travel for days at a time.
Last update on 2024-02-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Automatic Pet Feeders FAQs
What is an automatic cat feeder, and how does it work?
An automatic cat feeder is an electronic device that dispenses food to your cat at pre-set times. It can be programmed to dispense a specific portion of food, and some models even allow you to record a voice message to call your cat to eat.
How many meals can an automatic cat feeder dispense per day?
Most automatic cat feeders can dispense up to four meals per day, but some models can dispense more or less depending on your cat’s feeding schedule.
Can I customize the portion size and feeding schedule of an automatic cat feeder?
Yes, most automatic cat feeders allow you to customize the portion size and feeding schedule to suit your cat’s needs. You can program the feeder to dispense a specific amount of food at specific times of the day.
What type of food can I use in an automatic cat feeder?
Most automatic cat feeders are designed to dispense dry cat food, but some models can also dispense wet food. Make sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions to see what types of food are compatible with your feeder.
How do I clean and maintain an automatic cat feeder?
To clean an automatic cat feeder, you should first unplug it and remove any remaining food. Wash the feeder’s bowl and other removable parts with warm, soapy water, and then rinse and dry them thoroughly. Make sure to clean the feeder regularly to prevent bacterial growth.
Can I use an automatic cat feeder for wet food, or is it only suitable for dry food?
Some automatic cat feeders are designed to dispense wet food, but you should check the manufacturer’s instructions to see if your feeder is compatible with wet food. Wet food can spoil more quickly than dry food, so make sure to clean the feeder thoroughly after each use.
How long does the battery or power source last in an automatic cat feeder?
The battery or power source in an automatic cat feeder can last for several months, depending on how often the feeder is used. Some models also have a low-battery indicator to let you know when it’s time to replace the batteries. Models that connect to the wifi will use more power and therefore the batteries will not last as long. Many of these smart feeders are mains powered with battery backup.
Can an automatic cat feeder help with weight management for my cat?
Yes, an automatic cat feeder can help with weight management for your cat by controlling the portion size and feeding schedule. You can program the feeder to dispense smaller portions of food more frequently, which can help prevent overeating and weight gain.
Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of when using an automatic cat feeder?
Make sure to choose an automatic cat feeder that is made from non-toxic materials and has no sharp edges that could harm your cat. Also, make sure to supervise your cat while using the feeder to ensure that they are not getting stuck or injured.
How do I choose the best automatic cat feeder for my cat’s needs and my lifestyle?
When choosing an automatic cat feeder, consider your cat’s feeding schedule and portion size needs, as well as your own lifestyle and schedule. Look for a feeder that is easy to use and clean, and has features that are compatible with your cat’s food type and feeding preferences. Use the table above to help you to make an informed buying decision.
Being a 5th year Vet student and having a passion for improving the health and welfare of all animals, I am providing AblePaws.co.uk with a veterinary perspective / insight into the real word applications, including strengths and limitations of the products it reviews. This will allow you to make an informed decision as to the suitability of the pet products reviewed on the site to keep your pet mobile, comfortable and full of life!